Sunday, May 13, 2012

Close Call

2 weeks ago my perception of life changed.. I guess realizing that life can end in one unexpected moment can do that to a person.

The car fishtailed, we went in a ditch and flipped. I will always remember holding the door handle when the car turned, my head hitting the roof, feeling my neck crunch and looking at Bailey. A poof of dust when the glass shattered so thick I couldn't see her anymore. The pull as I still held the door, then completing the roll. 
Every second was minutes. An absence of sound and noise.

A moment of stillness as the dust cleared and the initial shock wore off. Bailey yelling my name, checking me for injuries, me simply happy she was talking and alive.
Crawling out my door, because hers was stuck. Assessing both ourselves, each other and the car.
Then walking home. 3 miles to be exact.


We had a lot of time to contemplate life and what had happened. We were lucky. Very lucky. No major injuries. Luck? No. Blessed.

Life is to be lived. In a single instant, life as you know it could be over. What if one of us had broken a limb? Back? Died? Life would never be the same. 
In the words of Channing Tatum, we are made up of moments of impact.
This was definitely one of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment