Sunday, August 14, 2011

Black, White, and a Shade of Gray

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints... Mormons... are often told that living Church standards is pretty much black and white.

I've recently learned from my EFY roomies, who live all over the US, that this is true.
Where they're from... Las Vegas, Wisconsin, California, and Texas... they are numbered in the minorities. Like, they're the only Mormons in their High School...
I learned from them that it's a piece of cake to tell who's Mormon and who isn't, which is where the black and white comes in. Mormons are different. We don't smoke,
drink,
be immoral,
swear...
that kinda thing. In all these places if you're a Mormon, people know and they watch. It's as simple as
Black and White.

Utah, however, is a huge mess of gray. 
I've lived in Utah my whole life, so I haven't really noticed until lately, since I've been in High School really, how... shaded... things are.  I think, because it's Utah and LDS is pretty much the predominant religion, we get kinda lax in our choices and how we present ourselves. 

In school we are a majority, not a minority, so perhaps it doesn't seem like people are watching, like in a school where you are one of three. I think because of this, people act as if the line isn't as defined.
In my high school, you walk around the halls and the student center, but for the most part any guesses are complete speculation.. then, when you get to seminary you see a kid and say to yourself
Wait, that kid is Mormon??

My roomies actually told me that they're grateful they live in areas where it's so defined. The choices are easier and the lifestyle less of a challenge,
 because you know what's right and you know people are watching

Where the rest of the world is black and white
Utah is all shades of gray... not so simple.



Don't get me wrong though, I love Utah
Seminary is during school :D
We have amazing mou'ins... mountains :)
There's zero humidity and hardly any bugs
It's home :D

No comments:

Post a Comment